A Native American Code of Ethics
From Shaman Cloud & the FireBear
- Rise with the Sun to pray. Pray alone and pray often. The Great Creator Spirit will listen when you speak. Find the peace that comes from being alone.
- Be tolerant of those who are lost on their paths. Ignorance, conceit, jealousy, anger and greed stem from lost souls. Pray that they find guidance.
- Search for yourself by yourself. Do not allow others to make your path for you. It is your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.
- Always give your best to others; your company gets the best bed, blanket and food. Treat them with respect and honour.
- Do not take anything that is not yours. If something was not earned or given it is not yours.
- Respect all of the things that are placed upon this Earth. People, animals, plants and rocks are all children of the Great Creator Spirit. Honour their place in the chain of life. We are all interconnected.
- Honour other people’s thoughts wishes and words. Give each person your attention and allow them expression. When you give an idea away, you no longer own it. If someone uses your idea, you take no credit. If someone doesn’t use your idea you take no offense. Your ideas are no longer yours as soon as you give them away.
- Practice Optimism. If you put negative energy into the Universe, it will multiply and return to you. All people make mistakes. Mistakes can be forgiven. Bad thoughts cause illness of body, mind and spirit.
- Nature is not for us, it is part of our sacred family. Live in balance with all of nature. Tread softly on Mother Earth.
- Children are the seeds of our future. Plant love in their hearts and water them with wisdom and life’s lessons. When they are grown, give them space to be themselves.
- Be truthful at all times. Honesty is the test of one’s will within the Universe.
- Keep yourself balanced. Consider that your mental, physical, spiritual, emotional and volitional selves must work on harmony at all times.
- Make conscious decisions as to who you will be and how you will react to life. Accept the consequences of your own actions.
- Always respect the privacy and personal space of others. Never touch the personal property of others, especially sacred items.
- Be true to yourself. You can not nurture and help others until you can nurture and help yourself. Live your truth.
- Respect the religious beliefs of others. Never force your beliefs on anyone else.
- Share your good fortune with others. Tithe and participate in charity.Always give back to others, that they too may have a good life.
- Always walk your thoughts before you make important decisions. Find your place of inner peace and operate from there. Walk in peace that others may do the same.